You have 5 days to get all your poems together!
About the prize
The Andrés Montoya Poetry Prize supports the publication of a first full-length book of poems by a Latinx poet.
The winning poet will receive $1000 and a contract from University of Notre Dame Press. Upon publication of the winning book, Letras Latinas will extend an invitation to both the winner and the judge to give a joint reading at Notre Dame.
The Andrés Montoya Poetry Prize is awarded every other year. There is no entry fee.
The next deadline is January 15, 2018.
Judge: Ada Limón
Eligibility and guidelines
- Latinx poets residing in the United States who have not published a full-length book.
- Applicants must be living poets who have neither published, nor committed to publish a book-length collection of poems (48 pages of poems or more) with a registered ISBN, either in the United States or abroad.
- Poems may have been previously published in periodicals or chapbooks, but the collection must not have been previously published (including self-publications and e-books).
- Manuscripts must be of original poetry, in English, by one poet. There are no restrictions on the style of poetry or subject matter. Translations are not eligible.
- Manuscripts must be between 48 and 100 pages of poetry, typed single-spaced (unless the poems are meant to be presented using nonstandard spacing). Multiple poems may not appear on a single page.
- This page count requirement does not include front matter (i.e. title pages) or back matter (i.e. Acknowledgements pages)
- Only one manuscript may be submitted per applicant.
- Include one title page with your name, address, phone number and e-mail address.
- Include one title page with only the title and no identifying information
- The manuscript itself should not contain any information that would reveal the identity of its author.
- Poets are not eligible to apply if they have studied with the judge in full-time accredited courses within the last three years.
- Applicants who have published poems in magazines may include acknowledgment notes in an “Acknowledgements” page.
- Applicants may submit manuscripts elsewhere simultaneously but must notify the Institute for Latino Studies immediately if a manuscript is accepted for publication by another publisher.
- University of Notre Dame Press will publish the winning manuscript in a paperback edition within one year of the judge’s decision.
- The Institute for Latino Studies cannot consider manuscript revisions during the course of the contest. The winning poet will have an opportunity to revise before publication.
- All correspondence concerning the contest should be addressed to: email@example.com
- The Institute for Latino Studies reserves the right to withhold the Andrés Montoya Poetry Prize in any given year.
- Please send TWO hard copies of your manuscript, via US Mail, postmarked no later than January 15, 2018 to:
Francisco Aragón, Coordinator
Andrés Montoya Poetry Prize
Institute for Latino Studies
230 McKenna Hall
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556
The Andrés Montoya Poetry Prize supports the work of emerging Latinx poets. The Prize provides a space for artists who, while part of the largest and fastest growing minority in the United States, are also increasingly diverse in their modes of literary expression. The Prize, therefore, does not privilege any particular style, subject matter, or aesthetic. While not losing sight of the traditions and conditions that gave rise to that literary expression, the Prize has as its goal to nurture the various paths that Latinx poetry is taking in the 21st Century. The Prize is awarded every other year.